Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beginner Reptiles and Amphibians

I will often go into a pet shop and see a wide range of herps- mixed together, in poor shape, and advertised as easy to take care for, or good for beginners- This is often far from the truth. There are many great beginner herps, but don't use size and price as a guide. Pet shops often sell babies of animals that will get much larger and are not good for beginners. They will also have some animals very cheap simply because they are easy and cheap to acquire, but not necessarily easy and cheap to take care of. Always do your research before getting an exotic pet, and if you are a beginner (i.e.-first ever herp) please pick from the list of beginner species bellow.

Amphibians:
-green tree frog
-barking tree frog
-fire salamander
-tiger salamander
-Marble salamander
-fire belly toad
-American toad
-eastern newt
-Fire belly newt
-African clawed frog
-African dwarf frog

Reptiles:
-leopard gecko
-corn snake
-ball python (captive breed)
-bearded dragon (not cheap, but if you get all you need easy to take care of)
-Tokay gecko (can be quite agressive)
-anole
-kingsnake
-milk snake
-rat snake
-horsfields tortoise

Beginners please avoid anything which name ends in monitor, poison dart frogs and mantellas, large tortoises (unless you absolutely have the space), iguanas, chameleons (green anoles are sometimes called chameleons-don't be confused- they aren't), Common boas, and reticulated pythons.

If you are looking for a great book on reptiles, checkout the book in the link below.

4 comments:

Reptile Apartment said...

Interesting suggestions I don't agree though with the Tokay as these are typically aggressive and may frighten off a new keeper don't you think. Also as far as amphibians are concerned I really wouldn't recommend those either as most people want a pet they can handle and too many times in my experience this leads to issues as people insist on handling the amphibians. Good job though and I totally appreciate what you're trying to do.

BAM said...

I can understand your suggestions. Tokays can be agressive, but I put them on the list because they are not hard to house or feed. I will add a side note about the aggressiveness to them, though. As far as aphibians are concerned some people just like them even if they can't be handled. I know fire belly toads and newts can be fun to watch like fish. Thanks for commenting and for the compliment.

Unknown said...

OK I have had a green iguana and a few different kinds of lizards so I'm not a complete newbie but I wanted to try a frog or maybe a toad any suggestions for me?

Unknown said...

OK I have had a green iguana and a few different kinds of lizards so I'm not a complete newbie but I wanted to try a frog or maybe a toad any suggestions for me?